Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Missouri » Cities & Towns » Schell City

Schell City, Missouri was platted in 1871, and named for Augustus Schell, who owned the property upon which the town was laid out. The first building constructed in the new town was a saloon, built in 1871 by two men named Barber and Kisner. A post office opened under that name that same year, and other businesses and homes soon followed, including a drugstore, blacksmith, grocer, and a general store. Baptist and Methodist Episcopal churches were also constructed in 1871. The Church of Israel originated in Schell City in 1972, and is currently headed by Dan Gayman, a former Schell City teacher. Surrounding communities include Harwood, Prairie City, and Taberville.



Recommended Resources

Search for Schell City on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!