Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Missouri » Cities & Towns » Walker

Named for Hiram F. Walker, an early settler, the city of Walker, in Vernon County, was platted in 1870 and incorporated as a city in 1886. The first settler in the area was Dr. J.N.B. Dodson, who came in 1855 and built a home near Datson Mounds, although Walker did not exist as a municipality until after the railroad came. The Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad was largely responsible for the formation of the town, when it extended its tracks to the area in 1870. For several years, three passenger trains came to Walker: the Katy Limited, the Katie Flyer, and the El Dorado Branch, as well as several freight lines. The town's post office was established in 1871. Today, the small town is a quiet community, and one where the sale of alcohol is not permitted. Handley is southeast of the city, while Nassau and Harwood are a little further away, to the southwest and southeast respectively.



Recommended Resources

Search for Walker on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!