Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Missouri » Cities & Towns » Weldon Spring

Named for its first settler, John Weldon, a North Carolina frontiersman who constructed at log home overlooking the spring that bears his name in 1790, the city of Weldon Spring, Missouri is in St. Charles County. When his first home was burned by the Osage in the early 1800s, he built a larger home with four rooms downstairs, one upstairs, and two fireplaces, on land that was later occupied by the Emmanuel United Church of Christ, and on which the spring is still visible. Weldon’s heirs sold their land in 1829, and it eventually was acquired by John McMillan, who laid out the town in 1849, naming it Weldon Spring. In 1940, in preparation for the U.S. involvement in World War II, the Army acquired more than seventeen thousand acres of land near Weldon Spring, displacing residents of the towns of Hamburg, Howell and Toonerville to create the Weldon Spring Ordnance Works, which was operated by the Atlas Powder Company in 1941, producing TNT. At the war’s end, most of the land was sold to the Missouri Department of Conservation and the University of Missouri, and are now part of the August Busch Memorial Conservation Area and the Weldon Spring Conservation Area, although a few concrete bunkers once used to store explosives are scattered around the Busch Memorial Conservation Area. However, the Army retained two hundred acres where a uranium ore processing plant was established in 1958. The Weldon Spring Uranium Feed Mill Plant operated until 1966, after which is was abandoned but closed off due to contaminated equipment and hazardous materials. Weldon Spring is separated from Weldon Spring Heights Village by Interstate Highway 64, which is also US Highway 40. Other nearby communities include Cottleville, Dardenne, Dardenne Prairie, and Harvester. St. Louis is about thirty miles to the east.


Faith & Spirituality



Recommended Resources

Search for Weldon Spring on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!