Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Charlestown

The lands that were to become Charlestown, in Sullivan County, New Hampshire, were granted by Colonial Governor Jonathan Belcher in 1735 as Plantation Number 4, which was the fourth in a line of forts along the Connecticut River, established as trading posts. Settled in 1740, it was the northernmost township, so it became an important military site during the French and Indian Wars. The town was renamed Charlestown in 1753. In 1781, Charlestown joined Vermont due to dissatisfaction with the New Hampshire government, but returned at the insistence of George Washington. Charlestown was incorporated in 1783. Charlestown is bordered by Acworth, Claremont, Langdon, Unity, and Walpole, as well as the State of Vermont.



Recommended Resources

Search for Charlestown on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!