Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Madbury

The town of Madbury, in Strafford County, New Hampshire, was originally part of Dover, and known as Barbadoes, a name that survives at Barbadoes Pond. Garrison houses were built there for protection against attacks from Native Americans. Later, the settlement became part of Durham, a Dover parish that organized in 1716, and incorporated in 1735. In large part, the area that was to become Madbury was part of a farm owned by Sir Frances Champernowne, and named for his family’s mansion at Modbury, in Devon, England. Madbury Parish was granted by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth in 1755, and it was made a town by Governor John Wentworth in 1768, incorporated in 1775. The town has the shape of a wedge, extending from the eastern tip of the town, which touches Cedar Point on Little Bay, to its border with Barrington on the west, with Durham and Lee bordering it to the south, and the city of Dover to the northeast.



Recommended Resources

Search for Madbury on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!