Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Northwood

Settled in 1763, the town of Northwood, in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, was incorporated by Colonial Governor John Wentworth in 1773. Prior to its separation from Nottingham the tract of land was known as the north woods. Around 1800, the Portsmouth to Concord Turnpike was constructed, after which the town began to prosper, with several taverns accommodating sledge and stage passengers. The town once had several sawmills, which were replaced by shoe factories during the late 1800s but, by 1920, its last shoe factory had closed, and the town has since been trying to establish itself as a vacation destination, promoting its nine lakes and several antique shops. Northwood is the site of Camp Yavneh, a Jewish summer camp on Lucas Pond, and the Wah-Tut-Ca Scout Reservation, affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America organization.



Recommended Resources

Search for Northwood on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!