Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Sanbornton

Situated in the fork of the Pemigewasset and Winnipesaukee rivers, the town of Sanbornton was first known as Crotchtown. In 1748, it was granted by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth to John Sanborn and fifty-nine others, twelve of whom were named Sanborn, so the community was renamed Sanborntown. The French and Indian War delayed settlement of the area until 1764, and the settlement was incorporated as Sanbornton by Governor John Wentworth in 1770. A portion of the village of Winnisquam lies within the town limits. The children’s author, Lois Lowry, has long been a summer resident of Sanbornton, New Hampshire.



Recommended Resources

Search for Sanbornton on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!