Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Jersey » Cities & Towns » Orange

Originally incorporated as a township in 1806, Orange was reincorporated as a town in 1860, becoming a city in 1872, then the City of Orange Township in 1982. The City of Orange Township is often included with East Orange, South Orange and West Orange, and referred to as the Oranges. The Essex County township had its beginnings in the New Haven Colony, and was founded by thirty of New Haven’s Puritan Congregationalist families, who sought to escape religious persecution. First known as the Mountain Society area, it took the name Orange for England’s ruling house, the House of Orange.



Recommended Resources

Search for Orange on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!