Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » North Carolina » Cities & Towns » Matthews

In the 1800s, Matthews was a small farming community. As cotton farmers cleared land, the settlement was first known as Stumptown. In 1825, the name was changed to Fullwood, for John Fullwood, who became the first postmaster. In 1874, the Carolina Central Railway extended its tracks through town, and its name was changed to Matthews, in honor of Edward Matthews, a railroad director.

Categories

Places to Stay

Property Sales & Rentals

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Matthews on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!