Aviva Directory » Local & Global » Europe » Channel Islands » Bailiwick of Jersey » Jersey » Grouville

Grouville, one of twelve parishes which make up Jersey in the Channel Islands.It is bordered by Saint Martin, Saint Saviour, Saint Clement, and the Royal Bay of Grouville. The bay is the main producer of oysters of Jersey and was long the most prolific producer of vraic, or seaweed fertiliser.

Grouville is where the famed archaeological site at La Hougue Bie. Hougue is a Norman language word which means "mound."

First excavated in 1925, the Neolithic site is made up of an 18.6 metre long passage chamber which is covered by a 12.2 metre high mound of earth. It was found to contain fragments of twenty vase supports, and goods which were mostly pottery, along with the remains of at least eight people. The site was a Neolithic ritual site which as used around 3500 BC. It was determined that the site had been ransacked at some point. Atop the mound were two chapels, one of which was built in the 12th century and the second one built in the 16th century.

During the Second World War, it was used as a lookout point after an underground bunker was built into the mound. It is now part of an archeology and geology museum which is run by the Jersey Heritage Trust.

Grouville is also where the Grouville Hoard was discovered. The Grouville Hoard is a cache of approximately 70,000 coins from the late Iron Age and Roman Era found in 2012. The hoard was found by two friends in a field with metal detectors in a location not released to the public. It is known only that it was discovered in the parish of Grouville. The coins are believed to have belonged to a Curiosolite tribe who were running away from Julius Caesar and his armies around 60 BC. The two friends had heard stories from a farmer who said he had found a few silver coins inside an earthenware pot on his farm. The farmer allowed the men to search about with their detectors once a year for 15 hours or so once the crops had been harvested. It took them thirty years to finally locate part of the hoard. In 2012, they found 60 silver coins and one gold coin from the Iron Age. All in all, they dug up a 750 kg (1,650 pound) cache. The hoard is on display at La Hougue Bie Museum.

The Parish church of Grouville is dedicated to St. Martin de Tours and was established is the parish church around 1035 AD, which was when it was mentioned in a charter of Robert, Duke of Normandy, a charter which was later confirmed by his son, William the Conqueror.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Grouville on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!