Aviva Directory » Local & Global » Europe » Channel Islands » Bailiwick of Jersey » Jersey » St. Clement

Situated in the southeastern part of the Channel Island of Jersey, Saint Clement is one of the twelve parishes of the Bailiwick of Jersey. It is the second most populous parish in Jersey, which geographically, it is the smallest. The parish is divided into three vingtaines for administrative purposes; these are La Grande Vingtaine, La Vingtaine du Rocquier, and La Vingtaine de Samarès. A vingtaine, which means "group of twenty," is a subdivision of the parishes of Jersey.

The majority of Saint Clement Parish is below the equinoctial high tide level. The equinoctial high tide is the high tide when the length of day is equal to the length of night, which happens on or around March 21 (the vernal equinox) and on or around September 23 (the autumnal equinox). It was often flooded until La Dicq, a dyke along the coastline in Saint Clement, was constructed to hold back the tides a bit. Very large floods hit the coast in 1688, 1796, and 1812, after which the coastal road at Le Hocq was entirely washed away, causing the people to rebuild it further inland. There is a forest a foot or so beneath the sand at Grève d'Azette, an indication that the island used to be larger.

There are two primary schools and one secondary school in the parish.

The Parish Church of Saint Clement is the ancient Anglican church, which was constructed around 911 AD and became the parish church before 1067, expanded the building in the 15th century with the addition of a chancel and transepts, at the same time the gargoyles were added. Its sister church, Saint Nicholas, was opened in 1927, is situated nearby. There is also a St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church and the Samares Methodist Church which stands as it always has but is now a community centre.

A Neolithic passage grave was discovered in 1848 while quarrymen looking for building materials found human bones, axes, urns, and a stone pendant. It is believed that the Iberians, a pre-Celtic race, built the megalithic tomb in approximately 3,000 BC. The local farmer who had engaged the quarrymen used the upright stones as a pigsty until it was officially named a historic site.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for St. Clement on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!