Aviva Directory » Local & Global » Europe » Channel Islands » Bailiwick of Jersey » Jersey » St. Mary

The parish of Saint Mary is located in the northern part of the island of Jersey. From it is surrounded by St. Mary's Bay. Moving clockwise, to the east is Saint John, to the southeast is Saint Lawrence, to the south and southwest is Saint Peter, and to the west is Saint Ouen. It is the least populated of all of the parishes in Jersey.

The parish, as well as its church, get their name from a medieval monastery which was destroyed by fire, probably set by Vikings during one of their many raids on the islands between the 8th and 10th centuries. On or near the site of that church, a new one was built, and it was called "Saint Mary of the Burnt Monastery." Guillaume, Duc de Normandie, who was later known as William the Conqueror, gave the church to the Abbey of Cerisy in 1042.

St. Mary's Parish Church was consecrated in 1320. This gothic style stone building consists of the chancel, nave, north porch, south aisle, and a square tower. Inside, the font is granite and shaped like an octagon. The church register dates back to 1648.

The Devil's Hole, a naturally created blowhole is located in the cliffs off the coast. The popular tourist attraction is a very short hike from the parking lot. The path from the lot to the blowhole is paved at the top and has handrails beside the wooden steps. During the Victorian era, one could go into the hole itself at low tide. That is no longer the case, as the descent now ends at a large observation platform. The figurehead of a ship washed up in the Devil's Hole after a shipwreck n 1851. The figurehead was made into a wooden statue of the devil and placed above the hole. It was replaced a few times during the 20th century.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for St. Mary on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!