Aviva Directory » Local & Global » Europe » Channel Islands » Bailiwick of Jersey » Jersey » St. Ouen

The geographic largest of Jersey's twelve parishes, Saint Ouen, is in northwestern Jersey. Much of Saint Ouen is a peninsula. It is surrounded by St Ouen's Bay, Piemont Bay, and Greve de Lecq on the west, north, and northeast respectively, and the parishes of Saint Mary to the east and Saint Peter to the southeast and south. It is the parish which is the furthest from St. Helier, the capital of Jersey.

The subdivisions of Saint Ouen are not called vingtaines as the other eleven parishes, but are called cueillettes, a French word which translates into English as "picking." Vingteniers are elected even so. The cueillettes of Saint Ouen are La Petite Cueillette, La Grande Cueillette, La Cueillette de Grantez, La Cueillette de Millais, La Cueillette de Vinchelez, and La Cueillette de Léoville.

It is named in honor of the patron saint of Normandy who founded a religious centre in what is now the parish just before the Vikings began invading the island. His symbol is a gold cross on a blue background and it can be found on most of the street signs as well as above the door to the parish hall.

Saint Ouen's Church was in existence in 1066, as evidenced by the fact that it was mentioned in a document signed by Duke William before he became William the Conqueror. The church bells are traditionally rung by parishioners on Christmas day. The parish hall is in the center of the parish approximately a half mile away from the church itself.

Saint Ouen's Manor, now one of the most historic landmarks in all of Jersey, was the seat of the de Carteret family for more than 800 years. The first historic mention of the family was of Mauger de Carteret, who fought beside William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings. The family was replete with titled men who made important contributions to Jersey, including defending the island as well as acting as bailiffs and governors. Some parts of St Ouen's Manor were built in the Middle Ages. In 1483, the lord of the manor was allowed to fortify the manor with high, thick walls and the aforementioned moat. With all of the updates done to the manor, it's difficult to ascertain from the outside which parts were erected during which eras.

The Chapel of Saint Anne, which is located between the Manor and the walled garden opposite the main lawn. During the German occupation, the chapel was desecrated as it was turned into a store and a butcher's shop. The 12th century stone altar was ruined beyond repair as it was used for chopping meat.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for St. Ouen on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!