Aviva Directory » Local & Global » Europe » Channel Islands » Bailiwick of Jersey » Jersey » Trinity

Trinity one of twelve parishes of Jersey in the Channel Islands, is the most rural of all of Jersey's parishes. It is divided into five vingtaines: La Vingtaine de la Ville-à-l'Évêque, La Vingtaine de Rozel, La Vingtaine du Rondin, La Vingtaine des Augrès, and La Vingtaine de la Croiserie.

The parish church stands on the location of one of the five ancient chapels in what is now the Parish of Trinity. It was first documented in 1172 at a time when it was part of the endowments of Saint Helier's Abbey, although it is thought to have been consecrated in 1163.

The area around Bouley Bay is said to be haunted by the Black Dog of Bouley, a ghostly dog whose appearance is said to foretell storms. This story is thought to have been encouraged by smugglers in order to keep people from coming into the area at night while they were moving contraband at the harbour.

Victoria Village, a small area of the parish which was an agricultural area became the center of a major news story when, in 1894, an attempted murder shook the parish Newlyweds Francois and Elizabeth Perchard Mourant had been married at Saint Saviour's Church the prior year and had recently moved to Victoria Village. They rented a place there. On the morning of September 17, Elizabeth asked her husband if he wanted to go down to the beach, but he didn't. Elizabeth went with her mother. When she got back to the house that evening, Francois was nowhere to be found. She went looking or him in the house and when she walked into his room, she was shot in the face with a double barrel muzzle loader. She fell to the floor, screaming in pain and Francois fled through the window. The Honorary Police searched for Francois throughout the night to no avail. The next morning, he was found in the the a pub called the Victoria Inn.

Elizabeth went to the hospital and was in critical condition. She miraculously survived despite the fact that she had close to 60 shrapnel wounds to her face and body. Doctors removed her left eye, but she did manage to keep her right eye, though it was badly damaged. She was nurtured back to health and was able to testify at the trial where the jury found him guilty of attempted murder. He was sentenced to seven years of penal servitude.

In May of 1901, another shocking crime was committed. The body of John Wallace Cabot, the 31-year old son of a farmer, was discovered in a field. He was last seen alive the night before buying alcohol in one of the shops nearby. A local man named Ernest Le Bechec said he had heard but not seen Cabot around 10:00 that night. One of the shop owners said that Le Bechec had bought a bottle of brandy from her shop, the same shop where Ernest had bought his bottle. Le Bechec confessed that he had bought the brandy but denied that he had been drinking with Cabot.

The post-mortem found that the cause of death was a fractured skull and the Viscount opined that it must have involved an incredible amount of violence. A witness indicated that Le Bechec had been with a group of men who were drinking with the deceased that night. He had gotten into an argument with John after he made a comment that Le Bechec was getting welfare from the parish. Le Behec pushed John Cabot to the ground. The jury at the murder trial was divided, and he was convicted of assault with extenuating circumstances. He was sentenced to 90 days of hard labour.



Recommended Resources

Search for Trinity on Google or Bing