Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Colon

The Village of Colon, Michigan is in Colon Township, in eastern St. Joseph County.

Colon is flanked by Sturgeon Lake in the northwest, and Palmer Lake in the south, which are connected by the St. Joseph River and Swan Creek. Farland Lake and Washburn Lake are just outside the village limits in the southwest, and Adams Lake is north of the village. The St. Joseph River crosses the northeastern tip of the village, briefly dipping into the village limits, where Salt Creek continues south to connect with Palmer Lake, while the St. Joseph River continues west to form Sturgeon Lake, then winding northwest to eventually feed into Lake Michigan.

Sturgeon Lake is a 250-acre body of water formed by the St. Joseph River. Fish species available in Sturgeon Lake include largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, bullhead, carp, catfish, crappie, yellow perch, northern pike, sucker, and sunfish. Palmer Lake is a 444-acre body of water, about forty-two feet deep at its deepest point. Forming most of Colon's southern boundary, Palmer Lake is home to bluegill, largemouth bass, channel catfish, and black crappie.

The chief route through the city is M-86, which forms South Street and East State Street within the village limits. West Colon Road enters the village from the west, just below Sturgeon Lake, forming West State Street. Other routes include Burr Oak Road, Farrand Road, Long Lake Road, and Wattles Road.

Nearby villages include Sherwood, which is 6.7 miles northeast of Colon, while Burr Oak is 8.9 miles south, Mendon is 9.5 miles northwest, and Centreville is 12,7 miles southwest. The nearest cities are Bronson, which is 11.8 miles northwest, Sturgis is 14.9 miles south-southwest, and Three Rivers is 19.1 miles west of Colon.

Colon has a long association with magicians and magic. These included Harry Blackstone who lived on an inland island near Colon and was once a co-owner of the Blackstone Magic Company in Colon. His partner in the business was Percy Abbott who, a few years after their partnership had been dissolved, started his own magic manufacturing business in Colon, known as Abbott's Magic Novelty Company. Today, FAB Magic Company and the Sterlini Magic Manufacturing Company are based in the city, and a four-day magic convention - Abbott's Magic Get-Together - is held in the village each August, temporarily doubling the village population. Colon High School teams are known as the Magi, and the school mascot is a white rabbit wearing a black top hat.

Colon also has a small Amish community.

The village was platted by George Schellhouse and an Indian trader by the name of Hatch in 1832, but not recorded. A post office was established on January 15, 1836, with Lorensie Schellhouse as postmaster. In 1844, John H. Bowman and William F. Bowman platted and recorded the village, although it wasn't incorporated until 1904. The village was named for the punctuation mark, as Lorensie Schellhouse determined that the shape of the river and lake resembled a colon.

Topics related to the Colon, Michigan are the focus of this guide. Appropriate resources may include websites representing the village itself, or any individuals, businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, attractions, and events within the village.

Categories

Things to Do & Places to Go

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Colon on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!