Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Frankenmuth

Surrounded by Frankenmuth Township, the City of Frankenmuth is in eastern Saginaw County, in Michigan's Lower Peninsula.

the chief routes through the city are M-83 (Main Street) and Junction Road (Genesee Street). Others include Curtis Road, Dehmel Road, Eischer Road, Frank Road, and Roedel Road. Nearby cities and villages include Birch Run, Nassar, Reese, Clio, Millington, Saginaw, Zilwaukee, and Montrose.

Founded by Bavarian immigrants, the city's name, in German, means "courage of the Franconians." City officials use the nickname "Little Bavaria" to refer to the city, while it is commonly referred to as "Muth" locally.

Frankenmuth was founded in 1845 as a community of Bavarian Lutherans under the leadership of the Reverend Friedrich August Craemer on a site that had been previously selected and named by the Reverend Johann Willhelm Loehe, a conservative Lutheran pastor known for his strict observance of church doctrine.

Frankenmuth was intended to be an exclusively Bavarian Lutheran community, loyal to Bavaria and faithful to the German language. Fifteen people, mostly farmers, agreed to join the Reverend Craemer in this enterprise. After a rough trip from Germany, by ship, by steamboat, and on foot, they arrived in the late summer of 1845.

They purchased 680 acres of Chippewa Indian reservation land and the federal government, cleared the forest, and built a combination church, school, and parsonage, completing the work by Christmas day. They name the church Saint Lawrence after their mother church in Rosstal, Bavaria.

Although the plan was for everyone to build their homes together near the church, the colonists disagreed, and decided to live on their own 120-acre farms. A second group of about ninety emigrants came in 1846, also buying land and building farms, and many of them led in the development of the church and the business community at Frankenmuth. The town developed about a mile east of the church and the initial settlement, get a dam and mill were built on the Cass River. The mill was opened by John G. Hubinger in 1847, and a store opened in 1849.

Encouraged by the Frankenmuth settlement, the Reverend Loehe organized three other colonies in Michigan. Frankentrost, about six miles north of Frankenmuth, was founded in 1847. Frankenlust, twenty-two miles north of Frankenmuth, was settled in 1848. Frankenhilf, about nine miles northeast of Frankenmuth, was intended to be an industrial center for the Lutheran communities, but the colonists chose to farm instead, and Frankenhilf is known as the unincorporated community of Richville today.

A post office was established on September 26, 1851, with George A. Ranzenberger as the first postmaster. Frankenmuth was incorporated as a village in 1904.

Migration continued through the end of the 19th century, and many of the newcomers were craftsmen and businessmen who continued their trades in Frankenmuth. The settlement earned a reputation for us flour mills, woolen mills, and sawmills. Beer, cheese, and sausage were also produced in Frankenmuth, and half a dozen hotels serve travelers. However, farming and self-sustaining businesses were the norms.

The development of the interstate highway system after World War II brought tourists to the region. Capital from tourism resulted in the development of schools, civic organizations, and the larger municipal government. From the 1960s through the 1980s, Frankenmuth became a bedroom community for families working elsewhere.

Frankenmuth was incorporated as a city in 1959. Since it first appeared on the census 1910, with a population of 683, the population of Frankenmuth has never decreased. Its population today is above 5,000. Farming continues to be an important part of the city's economy, and Frankenmuth attract tourists with festivals and other events throughout the year, many of them capitalizing on the city's Bavarian traditions.

A wooden covered bridge, built in the style of those in the Black Forest, crosses the Cass River in the middle of town. Although it was constructed in 1979, the bridge was built using traditional timber-framing techniques. The bridge includes two lanes for automobile traffic as well as two pedestrian walkways.

The focus of this category is on the City of Frankenmuth, Michigan. Online resources representative of the city itself, as well as any individuals, businesses, industries, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, or events within the city, are appropriate for this category.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Services & Industries

Things to Do & Places to Go

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Frankenmuth on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!