Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Garden City

Garden City, Michigan is situated in western Wayne County, within the Detroit Metro Region, and is surrounded by Dearborn Heights to the east, Inkster to the south, and Westland to the north, west, and south.

Other nearby cities include Wayne, Livonia, Dearborn, Romulus, Plymouth, Taylor, Melvindale, Allen Park, and Detroit. The chief route through the city is M-153 (Ford Road), which runs east-west through the center of Garden City. Warren Road forms most of its northern border, Inkster Road forms its eastern border, the southern border is Cherry Hill Road, and Venoy Road forms a small portion of its western border, in the north.

In 1832, nearly a century before a village was platted, John Lathers received a deed, signed by President Andrew Jackson, for 160-acres of land that is now bound by Ford Road, Harrison Street, and Marquette Street. The first settlers in the area were mostly immigrants from Ireland.

In 1921, Garden City was platted as a subdivision in what was then Nankin Township by Arnold F. Folker. He, and others, planned it to be an independent community with sufficient industry to support its citizens. Homesites were laid out in lots as large as a full acre, allowing residents with enough space for subsistence farming, patterning the community after the "garden city" concept that was popularized in England during the late 19th century, the idea being to combine the benefits of a city environment with those of the countryside while avoiding the disadvantages of both.

Garden City was incorporated as a village in 1927, and Folker became its first president. At that time, it has a population of about two thousand. A post office was established on April 28, 1931, with Glenn O. Donner as postmaster. In 1933, it became a city.

Although the city attempted to maintain its garden city concept, rapid growth between 1940 and 1970 has resulted in most of its large lots being subdivided into smaller ones, with little room for gardening, although the city maintains some large lots in which extra streets were not placed between two of its older streets, retaining some large lots.

Garden City's population grew by nearly 100% between 1930 and 1940, by more than 100% by 1950, and by more than 300% at the time of the 1960 census. Since 1980, the city's population has declined, but by much smaller percentages than its earlier gains. Its peak population was 41,864 in 1970, and at the time of the 2010 census, its population was 27,692.

The first full-sized Kmart store in the world was opened in Garden City on March 1, 1962. It closed in 2017. The first Little Caesars opened Garden City in May of 1959 but closed in October of 2018.

The Garden City School District provides a K-12 curriculum, and Schoolcraft College operates a satellite campus near Garden City Middle School.

The focal point of this guide is Garden City, Michigan. Appropriate resources include websites representing the municipal government or any individuals, businesses, industries, schools or other educational institutions, places of worship, organizations, attractions, events, or sporting and recreational programs, teams, or facilities.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Things to Do & Places to Go

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Garden City on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!