Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Grosse Pointe Woods

Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan is the largest of the Grosse Pointe communities, but the only one without a shoreline on Lake Saint Clair.

The chief routes to and from the city is Vernier Road, which connects with I-94 (Edsel Ford Freeway) just west of Grosse Pointe Woods, and Mack Avenue, which connects with Grosse Pointe Farms and Saint Clair Shores.

Grosse Pointe Woods shares a border with Saint Clair Shores to the north, Grosse Pointe Shores to the east, Harper Woods to the west, and Grosse Pointe Farms to the south, as well as a small portion of its border with Detroit in the southwest. Other cities and villages within twenty miles of Grosse Pointe Woods include Grosse Pointe, Eastpointe, Grosse Pointe Park, Roseville, Fraser, Hamtramck, Center Line, Warren, Mt. Clemens, Sterling Heights, Highland Park, Madison Heights, Hazel Park, Dearborn, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak, Ferndale, Huntington Woods, Oak Park, and Berkley.

Grosse Pointe Woods is a suburb of the Detroit Metro Region in the northeastern corner of Wayne County. Although Grosse Pointe Shores lies between the city and Lake Saint Clair, the city owns a park with lake frontage in neighboring Saint Clair Shores, although it is not within the Grosse Pointe Woods city limits.

The Grosse Pointe Woods Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for the maintenance and operations of four facilities within the city, as well as the one in Saint Clair Shores.

Known as Lake Front Park, the Saint Clair Shores facility is open only to Grosse Pointe Woods residents, and includes four pools, a bathhouse, a 240-slip marina, tennis courts, volleyball courts, and facilities for bocce ball, croquet, and shuffleboard. Also included are pavilions, gazebos, a pedestrian bridge, boardwalk, concessions, a fishing terrace, a playground, and an activities building.

The parks within the city limits include Ghesquiere Park, Sweeney Park, Chene-Trombley Memorial Park, and Jules DePorre Park.

Grosse Pointe Woods is the newest of the Grosse Pointe communities. When it was first incorporated in 1927, it was as the Village of Lochmoor. In 1939, its name was changed to the Village of Grosse Pointe Woods and, on December 11, 1950, it became the City of Grosse Pointe Woods, a Home Rule City, which is its official name.

As Grosse Pointe Woods is the focus of this guide, appropriate topics include the city itself, and any individuals, businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, events, and sports and recreational opportunities.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Health & Public Safety

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Grosse Pointe Woods on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!