Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Saint Peter

The city of Saint Peter, Minnesota is about ten miles north of the Mankato-North Mankato metropolitan region.

Saint Peter nearly abuts Kasota to the south, while Traverse Township and the unincorporated community of Traverse is west of the city, and Ottawa Township and the community of Ottawa is to the north.

Saint Peter is in eastern Nicollet County, for which it serves as the county seat.

The main routes through the city are US Highway 169 and Minnesota State Highways 22 and 99.

In 1851, the Treaty of Traverse des Sioux was signed one mile north of Saint Peter, opening the area to white settlement.

Saint Peter was founded by Captain William Bigelow Dodd, who owned 150 acres there, in 1853. Originally, the settlement was known as Rock Bend, for a rock formation at the bend of the Minnesota River. In 1854, a village site was platted, and the Saint Peter Company was formed by a group of Saint Paul land speculators, at which time the settlement became known as Saint Peter. The president of the Saint Peter Company was Willis A. Gorman, the Territorial Governor.

Saint Peter, about seventy miles southwest of the Twin Cities, was strongly considered as the site for the Territorial capital in 1857. A bill mandating the relocation of the state capital was passed by the Legislature and needed only the governor's signature, who stood to gain financially from the move. However, Joseph Rolette, the chair of the Territorial Council's Enrolled Bills Committee, absconded with the actual bill and hid out in a Twin Cities hotel until the legislative session had come to an end. The governor did sign the bill, and it was recorded in the Minnesota Laws for 1857, but the courts ruled it invalid. In the next session, the Legislature was unable to pass a similar bill. When Minnesota became a state in 1858, Saint Paul remained the capital.

Saint Peter was incorporated as a city in 1873.

A Minnesotan described his experience in a Saint Peter school in the early 1870s, writing that the entire school was in the attic of an eight-room building, the grammar school on one side, the high school on the other.

In 1866, the Legislature opened the first Minnesota Asylum for the Insane in Saint Peter. It later became the Saint Peter State Hospital and is now the Saint Peter Regional Treatment Center. Gustavus Adolphus College, a liberal arts college now affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, moved from East Union to Saint Peter in 1876.

Saint Peter was the home of five Minnesota governors. Willis Arnold Gorman was governor of the Minnesota Territory from 1853 to 1857, and Minnesota state governors, Henry Adoniram Swift, Horace Austin, Andrew Ryan McGill, and John Albert Johnson, were residents of Saint Peter.

The focus of this category is on the city of Saint Peter, Minnesota, and appropriate topics include websites representing the municipal government, as well as local businesses and industries, churches, schools, organizations, and individuals.

Categories

Health & Public Safety

Places to Shop

Services & Industries

Things to Do & Places to Go

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Saint Peter on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!