Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Springfield

Situated in the center of some of the best farmland in Minnesota, Springfield is in Brown County. The Big Cottonwood River flows through the southeastern part of the city.

US Highway 14 runs through the northern part of Springfield, serving as the main route through the city. County Roads 3, 5, and 24 also pass through portions of the city. The cities of Cobden and Sanborn are about seven miles northeast and ten miles west, respectively, and the unincorporated community of Dotson is about four miles south.

Parks, green spaces, and recreational areas include the Springfield Golf Course in southern Springfield, Riverside Park, Brown Park, East End Park, North Park, and Sticker Field, which includes two baseball fields. Adjacent to the Riverside Park complex is Rothenburg Campground, with RV and tenting sites. The Springfield Area Community Center is situated on two and a half acres overlooking the Cottonwood River, with Riverside Park to the south and the central business district to the north and west.

Most of the early settlers of the region were Scandinavian, Irish, or German. After the Civil War, people began moving into Minnesota's farmlands.

One of the earliest settlers of the region that would become Springfield was a man named John Burns, who came with his brother, Daniel, in 1869. When the railroad extended its tracks to the area in 1873, the railroad station was known as Burns. The settlement that grew up around the station became known variously as Burns, Burns Station, or Burnstown, and was platted as Burns in 1877.

The first houses were constructed from layers of sod, the roofs made of poles covered by a combination of sod and hay.

When the settlement was incorporated as a village in 1881, it was renamed Springfield, either for a large spring that was located high above the north side of the Cottonwood River, or for the city by that name in Massachusetts.

Two years after Springfield became a village, it had two churches, four stores, a school, a doctor, and about a dozen other businesses.

The first store in Springfield was operated by Michael Gamble, who is believed to have been the man who proposed the new name for the town. He also served as the first postmaster in 1873. An Opera House was built in 1892, serving as a venue for various traveling shows, dances, sports, graduations, and political rallies, as well as hosting the Turner Club, a men's gymnastics group.

As the village grew, the original sod houses were replaced by structures made primarily of brick. At one time, Springfield had five elevators, a brick and tile works, flour mill, and a creamery. In 1930, the Potter Stockyards was established by Ruben Potter on land that he had purchased from his father, former Senator L.E. Potter, in 1919. In 1976, it became the Springfield Stockyard.

Springfield was incorporated as a city in 1923. Since it became a city, its population has remained fairly steady, with relatively minor increases and decreases from one census year to another. Its peak population was 2,701 in 1960.

Springfield is mentioned in Little House on the Prairie as one of the places where Charles Ingalls would travel to on business trips.

Websites representing the City of Springfield or any of its programs or departments are appropriate for this category, as are those of any of Springfield's businesses, churches, schools, organizations, sports or recreational programs, or individuals.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Springfield on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!