Aviva Directory » Local & Global » Europe » Channel Islands » Bailiwick of Guernsey » Guernsey » St. Saviour

St. Saviour is one of ten parishes of Guernsey. It is situated on the west coast of Guernsey Island, south of Castel, and north of St. Pierre du Bois. This is where the States of Guernsey reservoir is located. The reservoir furnishes water to the entire island.

At one time, there were megalithic sites here. A megalith is a gigantic prehistoric rock which was used to construct a monument without benefit of concrete, mortar, or any other substance to make it adhere to other rocks. The sites are Le Crocq and Le Catiotoc. Le Crocq which was once a large site was destroyed bout three hundred years ago. It once had a large circle of stones paved with flat stones inside the circle. Today, however, the site consists primarily of 2 menhirs. The smaller of these two stones was re-erected in 1955.

Le Catiotoc played heavily in the witchcraft trials between 1550 and 1650. During that timeframe, twenty men and 58 women were tried on witchcraft charges. Sentences ranged from being banished from the island, having an ear removed or being whipped to being hanged, burned, or both.

No one is quite sure when St. Saviour's Church was built the first time, but we do know that in on the afternoon of January 30, 1658, a thunderstorm began. The first two thunderclaps were not so loud, but with the third one, lightning struck the church. The congregation was flung to the ground, and some were so badly shocked that they could not walk. The church was badly damaged. A spire was propelled nearly twenty feet into the air when part of the tower collapse, a small bell was flung to the ground and shattered, and part of a wall and a window were destroyed.

In the early 1700s, a new part of the church was built in order to house a parish cannon and other military equipment. In 1831, part of the church on the west end was closed up by a brick wall and used for a militia store.

During the occupation, 1940 to 1945, the Germans used the tower for an observation post. They also built a new chamber in the spire and cut peep holes through the lead fortified walls. Additionally they built a network of tunnels under the church and the church's property. In 1946, after the German army had left the Islands, a new church was built.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for St. Saviour on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!