Aviva Directory » Local & Global » Europe » Channel Islands » Bailiwick of Guernsey » Guernsey

The island of Guernsey is a island in the Channel Islands, thirty miles west of France's Normandy coast and seventy-five miles south of Weymouth, England. The ancient roman knew the island as Sarnia. It is the largest island in the Bailiwick of Guernsey.

The history of the Channel Islands is long and full. It was part of the Duchy of Normandy until 1204 when King John of England lost the Duchy of Normandy along with most of his other French land to King Philip II of France, the Guernsey and the other Channel Islands remained part of the Kingdom of England.

Along with several nearby islands, the island makes up a jurisdiction in the Bailiwick of Guernsey, which is a Crown dependency. Its capital is St. Peter Port, and the official language is English. The jurisdiction consists of ten parishes.

The northern part of the island is lowlands, while the southern portion is littered with coastal cliffs and plateaus to up to 90 metres (300 feet).

The population of Guernsey is mostly of Norman descent. Dairy farms, with the famous Guernsey cows, are found in the southern highlands of the island. In the norther, greenhouses are used to grow tomatoes, grapes, and flowers most of which are exported to markets in England.

The British government is in charge of the defence of Guernsey as well as most foreign relations, however, Guernsey is not part of the United Kingdom.

St. Peter Port became the seat of the economy, and soon privateering and smuggling as well as the industrial development of the industrial revolution kept the feudal lords weak.

Adolph Hitler decided that the Channel Islands would be a valuable strategic group of islands for his planned invasion of France. Winston Churchill, however, did not think they were of any value and demilitarised the islands, leaving them defenceless.

As the German army marched through France in June of 1940, approximately 30,000 Channel Islanders, one-third of the population, evacuated to England.

On June 28, 1904, both Guernsey and Jersey were bombed by the Luftwaffe, killing 44 people. The Germans had no clue that the islands were undefended. On June 30, they took control of an airfield in Guernsey, whereupon the police chief informed them that the island were not defended. The next day, troops arrived on Guernsey, and by nightfall, the German flag was flying. The German army occupied the Channel Islands from July 1940 to May 1945.

During the 20th century, tourism became a large part of the economy. Author Victor Hugo's home from 1855 to 1870 has been turned into a museum which is well-trafficked, and the fortifications built by the slave labour during World War II are also popular.

Countless journals and books were written by Islanders about the Nazi occupation.

Categories

Castel

Forest

St. Andrew

St. Martin

St. Peter Port

St. Pierre du Bois

St. Sampson

St. Saviour

Torteval

Vale

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Guernsey on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!