You’ll need to go through the official channels to dissolve your corporation. Find out if you need to file a “tax clearance” or other appropriate forms by contacting the agency that handles corporations.

Usually, this is at the Secretary of State office, which you can find in the last chapter. Most likely, you will have tax forms and need to file a “certificate of dissolution.”

File these forms with the fee to get your closure on record. Officially dissolving your corporation ensures that you are no longer liable for business taxes or filings in your state. It also let your creditors know that you can no longer legally incur business debts.

Once you’ve notified the state that you’re incorporated in, you’ll need to go through the process of notifying local business regulators. Gather up all of your regional licenses and permits. Usually, you’ll have to relinquish seller’s permits, business licenses, or certificates for fictitious business names.

If you have a seller’s permit or business license, the most efficient thing to do is contact the issuing agency and ask them for a cancellation. They’ll send you a form in the mail.

If you’ve used a fictitious business name or assumed business name, you’ll want to fill out a form with the issuing office and publish it with the local newspaper.

This is called an “abandonment” of the trade name in question. It basically explains that you are no longer liable for any business activities taking place with that name.  

* To do: Gather all of your licenses and contact the office that issued them. Find and file the appropriate paperwork to officially terminate your business.